ING started introducing instant payments from 2019 onwards. As a pan-European bank, ING’s ambition is to offer Instant payments in all countries in which it has a local presence. Here you can find information on what instant payments are, what the advantages are, and when you can initiate or receive them.
Instant payments provides your organisation with several advantages:
- Improved cash flow
- Optimisation of cash management
- Send and receive funds outside business hours
- Immediate delivery and receipt of time-critical payments
- Improved supply chain
- Opportunities for innovation
- Improved control and oversight of financial cash management
We live in a digital world of instant news and instant messages. Instant payments are a logical consequence of our 24/7 economy. Instant payments will be added to real-time payments and will give all clients the option of carrying out payments 24/7, 365 days a year.
Instant payments do not differentiate between business days, weekends or holidays for the processing of payment.*
* Please note that ING Belgium does not yet support booking 365 days a year, and for now still differentiates between processing payments on business days, weekends and holidays.
Instant payments are not yet mandatory for banks to participate in. As a result, you may encounter that you are not be able to send an instant payment to all beneficiaries. Transactions to those beneficiaries that hold their account at a bank that is not reachable for Instant Payments will be processed as a normal SEPA Credit Transfer (during opening hours).
Instant payments provide the following advantages:
- Improvement of cash flow and optimisation of cash management by monetising on an investment opportunity during the weekend.
- Improved credit risk management.
- Send and receive funds outside business hours, in the evening, nights, weekends and holidays for receipt of e-commerce transactions, invoices, retail transactions.
- Immediate and more transparent delivery and receipt of time-critical payments such as notary and tax payment and the payment of insurance claims.
- Improved supply chain thanks to direct delivery of goods based upon receipt of funds; direct salary payment after working day.
- Opportunities for innovation, such as new products or services thanks to automatic debiting of the client’s account for purchases.
- Improved control and oversight of financial cash management through centralisation of treasury activities (to remote) central location.
Potential impact on your business
Being able to send and receive instant payments in real-time at every moment of the day, 365 days a year, can have an impact on your business.
Payment and treasury systems
Accounts will be debited and credited 365 days a year.* This may affect the way you handle your cash management.
Liquidity forecasting and reconciliation will be impacted as your balance will shift during weekends and holidays, too.
Interest calculation will be applicable on the day the account is debited or credited: book day = value date. ING will book on all calendar dates so that interest is applicable on all days.**
ING will provide you the option of acquiring your reporting on all calendar days.** Your ERP system must be able to cope with reporting on weekends and holidays to enable you to process reporting files for each day of the week or three files in the correct order on Monday morning. We advise you to contact your ERP supplier for more information.
As the end of the day has shifted to 0:00 hours, your end of day statement will be delivered after day switch. The intraday statements (MT.942 and camt.052) will eventually be sent (near) real-time.**
In your statement, the incoming and outgoing Instant Payments will be reported separately (i.e. separate ING reporting code 00112 and ISO Family Code IRCT/RRCT). In your camt.05X report, a timestamp indicating the time of initiation (in milliseconds) will be added to the report.**
Your domestic cash balancing structure will run on every calendar date.**
* Please note that ING Belgium does not yet support processing on weekends and holidays.
** With the current roll-out of instant payments in Belgium, no booking will take place on weekends and holidays. The end of day will not shift either. As a result, your interest and reporting set-up will stay as is.
Interaction with your clients could also be affected by instant payments depending on the choices you make, such as having operational client support 24/7, changes in your supply chain management, or options for direct billing.
Countries where instant payments are operational
Because it is optional to support instant payments, banks in Europe have been gradually adopting instant payments in EUR from November 2017. As a pan-European bank, ING has the ambition to offer instant payments in all countries in which it has a local presence. A roll-out has been delivered or is planned for the following countries:
ING’s retail clients have been able to receive instant payments since November 2017. Instant payments are processed within 10 seconds with a maximum amount of EUR 15,000.
ING Belgium can initiate and receive instant payments (private individuals through Mobile & Home Bank; business clients through Business Bank and Telelink Online). ING Wholesale Banking clients are able to receive instant payments.
Instant payments are processed within a few seconds and there is no maximum amount for individuals and business clients. The transaction will be processed 24/7/365 (transaction date = value date). The actual book date and reporting will remain on TARGET days.
ING’s retail clients are currently able to initiate and receive domestic Instant Payments. There is no maximum amount for retail clients. ING.nl provides more information on instant payments for retail clients. From November 2020 onwards, retail clients will be able to receive instant payments from any bank in Europe supporting instant payments.
ING Wholesale Banking clients can currently only receive instant payments. Instant payment initiation will be offered gradually to ING Wholesale Banking clients via InsideBusiness Payments from April 2020 onwards. From November 2020 onwards, Wholesale Banking clients will be able to receive instant payments from any bank in Europe supporting instant payments.
ING Wholesale Banking clients will be able to initiate and receive instant payments in HUF as of 2 March 2020. Instant Payments will be processed within 10 seconds with a maximum amount of HUF 10m.
ING Retail clients will be able to initiate and receive instant payments from Q3 2020 onwards.